My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Friday, October 27, 2006

The Muse Strikes Back

She was silent and pouting while I was working on mundane things, and for a while I thought she had quite left me, to work on some more fertile soil, when suddenly, unbidden, unexpected, she disturbs my sleep with the first line of this poem, and I, helpless against her, had to comply, to quiet my spirit.

 
Say, have you heard the woodlark sing,
Th'impossible, secret, joyous thing;
Of meadows, valleys, crowned in shade,
Of nests deep in a forest glade;
Of love and spring, the courtship dance;
The first-fruits of a long romance;
The sweet dreams of an English night;
Of spotted nestlings in first flight;
Of wind in feathers, soaring high,
High up to embrace the mother sky;—
Say, have you heard the woodlark sing,
The glorious, wild, primordial thing?


Tags: Anniina's Poetry

9 Comments:

Blogger Mophia said...

I like it ^.^

October 27, 2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Why, thanks :) I just read it m'self, and it's not half bad. Funny thing is, the Muse strikes, and I come back to read it next day, and it's like reading something someone else wrote; after I purge it, as it were, I have little recollection of it, lol. Sounds kinda weird, huh. I wonder if that happens to other writers, or if it's just a peculiarity of my own?

October 28, 2006 1:10 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

1 day !!!

October 28, 2006 4:48 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I know, I'm gonna be cleaning like a madwoman today! Wheeeeeeeee! 1 day!!!

October 28, 2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

You do NOT have to clean for me :)

I have a packing (or anti-packing) anxiety. Trying to pack as little as you can is really hard...

The Airport Taxi is picking me up at 5.40 AM. ARRRGH !!! No sleep this night, cause we are turning the clock's back to winter-time this night and I'm becoming more and more paranoid about waking up at the right time...

Well, I better go and take a look at my empty suitcase again and try to figure out the things, that I might actually need during the next two weeks.

See you tomorrow !!!

October 28, 2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

Underwear! at LEAST 2 pair! :D

October 28, 2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

and in reply to the writing comment. I don't really write poetry (at least not GOOD poetry), so it's a different form for me. And by golly when I write 18 pages (over the course of a whole year I must admit), I've had all of it in my head enough that it better seem familiar! Speaking of my writing. I did in fact do another post of Istanbul: Not Just a City, which can be found... http://joystickrequired.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098

October 28, 2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

It happens to all writers. We've talked about his phenomenon in my classes. Ironically, people who have written about this, Stephen King, Donald Murray, and a host of others, have all noted that years down the road they can't tell the difference between the lines that seemed inspired and the ones that they struggled to get out.

Which is a nice way of me saying that you need to post more, dammit. :-p

October 29, 2006 1:03 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Awesome! Thanks Mark :) I don't feel so odd now :P And I'll post more now that I'm out of drudgery. Although, Katja's gonna be here for two weeks, so we might be busy shopping and seeing movies and eating fatty and sugary foods :)

October 29, 2006 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home