My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sonnetsday 38



Astrophel and Stella        
(Starlover and Star)        
 
Sonnet III              
 Let dainty wits cry on the sisters nine,
     That, bravely masked, their fancies may be told;
     Or Pindar's apes flaunt they in phrases fine,
     Enam'ling with pied flowers their thoughts of gold;
Or else let them in statelier glory shine,
     Ennobling new-found tropes with problems old;
     Or with strange similes enrich each line,
     Of herbs or beasts with Ind or Afric hold.
For me, in sooth, no Muse but one I know;
     Phrases and problems from my reach do grow,
     And strange things cost too dear for my poor sprites.
How then?  even thus,—in Stella's face I read
     What love and beauty be, then all my deed
     But copying is, what in her Nature writes.

Sir Philip Sidney.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home