My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Status Report

Hello, Wonderful People!

Thank you for all your lovely notes. You warm me :)

Birthday was good—I suppose after you survive the trauma of turning 30, you're okay until 40. Hmm, okay, 39 might be a crap one, since you'll feel like you're staring at 40. But thank goodness there's still a long time to that.

Katja got here safe and sound and we've been doing a lot of browsing in various stores (not a lot of worthwhile things out there to buy right now, what's with that?), watching lots of popcorn TV, and we managed to make it to see Stardust as well. Katja liked it, and I might have if I hadn't read the book and the movie didn't have Claire Danes. As it was, I was lukewarm on it. Book A-; Movie B-. Maybe rent it when it comes out on DVD.

This coming week we're going to watch the whole Ugly Betty first season DVD, eat more ice cream, do more shopping, finish trying to highlight my hair back to blonde, etc. Girly stuff. Then, we'll do a few days in New York, including a visit to see the gorilla habitat at the Bronx Zoo. Also trying to get a room at the Jersey shore for Labor Day Weekend.

Oh, I'm out of reading (or rather I don't feel like reading the 10 books I have lined up). Any fiction or sci-fi/fantasy recommendations? Movie recommendations?
 

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

YAY UGLY BETTY!
I love that show!
I want to play Amanda!
Glad to hear the birfday was fun! Did you survive having to hear me sing on your voicemail? ;)
Hmmmm, books. What have I read lately that I think you would like?
Have you ever read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? Love that one.
And Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, seriously, funniest book EVER!

August 27, 2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Seriously, I wanted to suggest M. Atwood's oryx and Crake...
I think I'm tired.

August 27, 2007 2:54 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Madeline!!! Funny you should say it, Katja's reading Good Omens right now. I'll get Neverwhere. Thanks for the singing--it was AWESOME! Did you get that gig? :)

SzélsőFa -- heheh! O & C bummed me out. I do think that's where we're heading too.

Mark -- Can we read something fluffy and funny next? :)

August 27, 2007 3:00 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

I suggest again... Robert Aspirin

August 29, 2007 4:50 PM  
Blogger Doyu Shonin said...

Made it to Ashland; report here:
http://risashome.blogspot.com

Off to CA for a week with the in-laws (I have REALLY GOOD in-laws, so it's OK)

I liked Stardust but then I hadn't read the book. I do like the Sandman books though.

What's to buy? They've quit making good things, methinks.

August 29, 2007 10:51 PM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

I go away and I miss you thirtieth? Happy, happy, haaaaaapppppyyyyy, birthday!

September 10, 2007 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home