My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Eighteenth Century Literature

It's KILLING me. Apart from a few authors (I've always had a soft spot for Daniel Defoe, for example), I have a deep distaste for the Augustan Age authors. I'm working on the "Eightlit" section of Luminarium, and taking little pleasure in it. Lemme tell ya: after the Restoration, English literature went down the tubes for a long, long time. I can't wait to have this section finished. Next, planning on doing an Early Modern Women Writers section, and another for Middle English Drama. Much more my speed.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Hello,
I have checked Luminarium, wondered through the Medieval pages for a while...
What a big collection! Keep up doing the great job - sometimes there are chores we'd rather avoid, but at the end, the reward for completing the task makes it worthwhile.

November 15, 2006 8:20 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

This is very true! Thanks for the encouragement :)

November 15, 2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

Downhill? That's so depressing. I always reread John Wilmot when I get down on the Restoration. Anyone who dedicates a poem to a dildo can't be all bad.

November 15, 2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

Things were just as bad as I expected them to be at work :( I've been trying to do 100 things at the same time, sending gazillion e-mails to airlines, doing tickets that my co-workers didn't know how to do... It is insane !!! Well, I kind of knew, that I'm invaluable.

November 15, 2006 12:20 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

No no no Mark, I said "after the Restoration" - Wilmot, Behn, Montague are still superb... and Wilmot has always gotten a lot of hype for his subject matter and personality, and I think even removed from those he is a superlative poet. It's when we get to the eighteenth-century proper Addison/Steele/Goldsmith/Grabbe dudes that I get bored out of my wits. Gah!

November 15, 2006 7:14 PM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

You're right. I read the description wrong. I'm an idiot.

The Tattler and Spectator were boring beyond belief, although Pepys was pretty entertaining.

November 16, 2006 12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home