My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Monday, December 18, 2006

A Book Addict Comes Out

Hi, my name is Anniina, and I'm a book addict.

It's true. I just didn't quite realize it until tonight, when I spent the whole night cataloging my books on LibraryThing — there's nearly 400 there now, and that's not half of them.

Want to hear something even scarier? I checked out my wishlist on Amazon — there's 88 books on it at present. I don't think this is normal. Does anyone else have this problem?
 

******** edited an hour later******
Umm, I should also probably mention that I have several in my shopping cart on abebooks.com

HELP!
 

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I think there's nothing wrong with having that many books or wishing for more books. It is quite normal. Reasoning:
I like books and I like buying them and keep buying them - so it's normal :)))

December 18, 2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

Happy Feet was too scary for 5-year olds. The twins got really scared, when the red-eyed monster seal (or whatever it was suppose to be) was chasing Mumble. I grabbed Antti into my lap and Mia grabbed Ada, poor little things.

December 19, 2006 3:22 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Oops, yeah I forgot about that. It was REALLY scary, that part. I thought I would swallow my tongue!

December 19, 2006 4:28 AM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

We have already decided that when we buy a house it MUST be at least three bedrooms, because one of them we will need as a library.

Every time I walk into our spare bedroom and look around at the stacks of books I'm reminded of that scene in Ghostbusters when they see the stack of books at the library.

Ray: Symmetrical book stacking. just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947.

Venkman: You're right, no human being would stack books like this.

Don't even get me started on the DVD collection.

And no, it's not normal at all. But at least we're weird and obsessive in an intellectual way. It could be worse. I could have shelves filled with troll dollys or Beanie Babies.

December 19, 2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

You know... you have a point. I could have shelves full of pink unicorns or ashtrays stolen from hotels, or other kitsch tsotchkes (sp?) As it is, the Ghostbusters would be right at home here as well.

December 19, 2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Mark and Szélső Fa,

We're in good company: just found Margaret Atwood saying on Forbes.com:

"Books are an addiction to me."

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/margaret-atwood-books-tech-media_cx_mm_books06_1201atwood.html

December 20, 2006 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home