My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

More Little Known Facts About Me

Meme of 100 continued...

Little Known Fact #11:
My favorite cartoon as a little-bitty thing (age 4 or so) was "Rosvo-Ruudolf" — well, that was its name in Finnish. In the original Czech he was the Robber "Rumcajs". The cartoon followed the adventures of a robber who lived in the woods with his pretty wife and baby boy. I don't remember much about the show, but how I loved it. I think he was also my first crush — if you've ever had a crush on a cartoon character, you'll understand.

LKF #12:
When I was 17, I moonlighted with a band as a singer. The boys all had that heavy metal hair and hearts of gold. We did covers of the Rolling Stones, Guns'n'Roses, and Bruce Springsteen. After one gig, lots of people stayed around and we sang "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Honkey-Tonk Women" until 4 am when none of us had voices left. I don't have a single photo of us, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

LKF #13:
I was a girl scout until age 16. Even now you could drop me in the middle of a forest and I'd know what could be eaten, which way is North, how to build a raft, and how to tie a mean knot if I had rope. But I'd rather you just dropped me on a couch with some bon-bons and a good movie.

LKF #14:
My first love wrote me a poem the summer we turned 15.
It read:

Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
I went to a camp
And I found you.

I thought it a most excellent and romantic poem. He is now a cancer researcher with a wife, two beautiful children, and a dog. We send each other emails a few times a year, but no poetry.

LKF #15:
In Finland your given name (the name you're called by) can be either your first or second name; Anniina is my second. My first is Kirsi. "Kirsi" can be either taken to mean the ground when it is frozen over, or short for Kirsikka, "cherry." For each day of the year, the Finnish calendar has names allocated for that day - so each person has a "name day." On the 24th of July, "Kirsinpäivä" or "Kirsi's day," my grandpa would always bring me cherries from the marketplace. I was never called Kirsi by anyone (thank goodness!) but on the 24th of July I always miss my grandpa and those Kirsinpäivä cherries.
 

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

wow.
Rumcajz was one of my childhood favourites, too. But only after the little mole *winks*

In Hungary, each day in the calendar is dedicated to one or two certain names - and so we also have our 'name days'. It is celebrated just as much (if not better, and with more ado) as the birthday. I also have two Christian (aka 'given') names, but noone ever called my by the second one. I go by the first.
July 24 (Midsummer) for example is St Ivan's day in the Hungarian calendar. Today is Benedek and Napsugár, which translates to Benedict and Sunshine. My son goes by the first (he had his nameday today), but Sunhine? Noone in this country is called like that. This just sounds stupid to most of the Hungarians. But I understand that in many other countries, this might be a beautiful name for a girl.

March 21, 2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

And her name was - Panka.
(at least in the Hungarian version) pronounce it like P-uh-nk-uh

March 21, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

I command you to find pictures AND recordings of your band! Please?

In America, drop a Girl Scout in the middle of the forest and she'll know what to eat too... Girl Scout Cookies! >.>

March 21, 2007 1:28 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I can't remember what the wife's name was in Finnish. Apparently in Czech she was Manka, and Wikipedia Poland calls her Hanka. If any Finns remember the wife's name, please enlighten :)

Mophia, I don't know that there are any pictures, for real. and.

I LOVE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!

My favorites are those sticky coconut chocolate thingies. I apologize tho non-coconut lovers. But I LURVS'EM!

March 21, 2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

I like the mint ones, whatever they're called.

March 22, 2007 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home