My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

QUIZ: Which of the Nine Muses is Yours?

 


Erato: The Muse of lyric poetry, especially of love poetry and erotic poetry. Her name derives from "Eros" the Greek God of Love, and is translated variously as "lovely" and "passionate."  She is often depicted playing a lyre.

"Erato for the lovers." - Plato, Phaedrus

"Erato... makes those, who are instructed by her, men who are desired and worthy to be loved."
- Diodorus Siculus, Library of History

"Erato who charms the sight." - Orphic Hymn 76

"Erato - Aphrodite's month (April) fell to her, since she is named from tender love." - Ovid, Fasti

Who is your muse?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger onlyjokinglasse said...

My Muse was Melpomene who is the patron goddess of tragedy. 'Melpomene is often represented by a tragic mask and is sometimes depicted with a crown of cypress leaves and a club. Despite her tragic side, Melpomene means "The Songstress" because her chanting and singing inspires listeners'. Interesting. The funny guy with sorrow inside.

March 05, 2007 3:33 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Would you be surprised if I told you I was not surprised by what you had got?
OMG, my grammar...
anyway, I got Polyhymnia...
:))

March 05, 2007 3:38 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

I got Thalia :)

And I got my brand new laptop today :)

March 05, 2007 7:39 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Wow, fascinating, and I think those fit all of you so well. I wish someone made a movie about the Greek gods and muses and all, I would be so interested.

SF - True, love poetry is what mostly pours out of me, when the Muse strikes (^.^)/

Katja, congratulations on your new laptop! I bet it's great and you're almost in <3 with it. I'm so happy for you!

March 05, 2007 9:25 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

i certainly didn't take a quiz from gurl.com! ~.^ (Polyhymnia)

March 05, 2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger madelineanne said...

I got Thalia! Whee!!
Love the gift of laughter? Thalia, patron goddess of comedy, may be the reason. Her name means "The Flourishing" because she brings fame to those she favors. She is often depicted with a comic mask and a cane (perhaps to drag un-funny people off stage...). The next time you're enthralling those around you with a hilarious story, perhaps you can thank Thalia for good comedic timing and delivery.

March 06, 2007 3:37 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Yay, I was kinda hoping for Thalia too, her being the patroness of actors, but considering all the sappy poetry I write, I think Erato had first dibs on me :P

March 06, 2007 3:50 PM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

I got Calliope. Just an afterthought, but since when did God get classified as a celebrity, living or dead? I mean, I guess God is popular, but to put him in the same category as Paula Abdul is simply silly. I'm pretty sure that even atheists would cringe at that paring.

March 07, 2007 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home