My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Dieting


All joking aside, I'm on the first 24 hrs of my diet. And by diet, I don't mean any gimmicks or books or diet pills. It's the "thinking man's diet" in the sense that it just means eating sensibly. It's more about changing the way I eat, because, let's face it, I eat "bad stuff" 24/7.

As most of you know, I'm a carbholic. I eat obscene quantities of bread products: breads, cookies, pastries, crackers, pasta. Furthermore, the potato is my best friend—just think about Bubba's litany about shrimp in Forrest Gump, and that's how I like my potatoes—and don't disregard my love of the noble potato chip. To this already insane intake of carbs, add my love of chocolate and nearly everything named "candy."

Is it any wonder that according to all the Body-Mass Indexes and weight guides online (even the ones from 30 years ago, which liked normal-sized women), I am about 25 lbs (12kg) overweight? All of this weight seems to concentrate on my belly, and the thought of a) ever wearing a bikini again, or b) appearing naked in front of another human being, is horrifying. I feel like a Botero painting (;_;)

Girls, you know how you have one or two pairs of "fat jeans" for when your weight fluctuates? I feel uncomfortable in my "fat jeans", which means... time to lose weight.

I've eaten 1 yogurt, 1 banana, 2 bowls of Special K cereal, some baby carrots, some cheese, and a proper dinner, but my carb-cravings are out the wazoo, making me horribly grumpy. An added grump-factor is that I'm planning on exercising tomorrow, and if there's one thing this lazy couch-potato/computer-potato hates, it's exercise. But I'll be damned if I can't wear my cute summer dresses in a week or two. Damned, I tell ya! Wish me luck.

Yours grumpified,
Anniina
 

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I suggest you 1.) stay connnected so that we can show our sympathy - and evil laughs :) 2.) eat/drink more fruit instead of cereals and cheese. there are tonnes of fat in cheese. I mean in good cheese. Fat free cheeses must taste like...uhm...boring at the very least...

and potatoes are good sources of minerals and fibers, do not discard them in the fear of carbs.

And what is a proper dinner in your book?
is there any soda/coke involved?

Sorry to go into depths of your bowels, dear, shoot me if I prove inappropriate!

I'm off to do some excercise, btw.
:)))

May 22, 2007 4:14 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Hi SF -

I'll stay connected, no fear. Much whining coming up.

From experience (I've lost similar amts of weight before) fats, such as fat in cheese, have never been a problem for my system. I'm staying away from anything fried, of course.

My "proper dinner" was rice and chicken and salad. I'm drinking diet iced tea, 0 calories, and using artificial sweetener in my coffee.

"Special K" is a cereal that guarantees if you eat two bowls of it a day for meals, you'll lose 6lbs (2.5 kg) in 2 weeks. So that's my fiber right there, and I'm taking a complete multi-vitamin. I will eat more fruits and veggies, but I didn't go to the store today, and the banana and carrots were all I had at home.

Any and all questions are fine, I'm not shy, and I can always say "I don't want to answer," if something hits that threshold :)

May 22, 2007 5:10 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

allright, I see. None of my questions posted here were left unanswered.

May 22, 2007 6:22 AM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I too suffer from carb addiction. I'm embarrassed when I load my groceries onto the conveyor belt at the store and realize how little real FOOD I buy for my food. Good luck with the sensible eating plan!

May 22, 2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Good fats! Nuts, legumes, olives... love them.

May 22, 2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

i know the dilemmas, i've been seriously overweight in the past myself... the only things i've been able to come up with were,
- consume less (easier said than done, but it can be done... honestly, just ask...)
- consider more the (caloric) qualities of what one consumes
- less alcohol (once again, easier said than done, i have a particular difficulty here)
- move more, walk more, forget the car whenver possible, take a bike or go for a hike, take stairs instead of elevators...
- take time to relax... stress produces stuff in your body which allows the excesses of daily life to store themselves on your body
- sleep well and for long enough... at least 6 hours and max 8, uninteruppted if at all possible
- get yourself outside as much as possible... fresh air, sunlight (countering depressions, osteopeorisis and varous cancers) and generating a psychological freedom of mind...

hope this helps, i'm battling but see progression in so many areas of life... keep well, my dear ;-)

May 22, 2007 4:58 PM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

In the past I've kept myself within a ten pound range. If I saw I was getting close to hitting the roof, I simply started running a lot more. Eat chili cheese fries with lunch for a full week? Run four miles a day. Problem solved.

Now my damn knees hurt, my ankles pop, and it's really hard to devote that much time simply to counteract my atrocious eating habits (I have the tendency to eat Nuetella and graham crackers while writing).

May 23, 2007 1:37 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

If I don't say it often enough, I love you guys. Thanks bunches.

May 23, 2007 3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home