My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

INTERVIEW MEme

I received these questions from Stefanie as part of the "Interview Me" meme, and I'm really late in answering, having had a pretty hectic work schedule. Humblest apologies, Stefanie!

Q1. What band or musician are you embarrassed to admit that you like?
It seems I have no shame when it comes to music. According to Katja, there are many bands and singers I like that I shouldn't admit to liking, since they are "bands geared for 12-yr-old girls," but I'm not embarrassed about liking them. I also like some singers popular with middle aged women, tehee, for example, Josh Groban:



Q2. What law would you break if you knew you could get away with it?
Not many. And those I would, I can't say in public, in order to "get away with it."

Q3. Can you recall the most unfortunate outfit you've ever worn with pride? The one you thought was awesome at the time but makes you cringe in horror now? Describe it.
In college, I worked for a stockbroker and I had to buy some "grownup" getups for the office. One was a blouse-vest-skirt combo (1-piece! and made out of man made fabrics) that I thought was very nice at the time. On hindsight, it must have made me look like a churchmarm. I haven't worn it in years, but it's hanging in my closet still, as a warning.

Q4. Of what in your life are you most proud?
Luminarium. It's been over 10 years now of blood, sweat, and tears, several bouts of carpal tunnel and mind-numbing coding. But I know it's been useful to countless students and literature lovers. The first time the site had over a million visitors a month, I cried a little.

Q5. What are three books that I absolutely MUST read, if I haven't yet?
This is a tricky one, since I don't entirely know your taste in books.

In Chick Lit:
Bridget Jones Diary - Helen Fielding.

In Literature:
Beloved - Toni Morrison.

In Fantasy / Sci-fi:
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis.

Extra Credit Question: What does the word in your blog URL mean? Alaydhien?
Alaydhien is my name on FFXI (Final Fantasy XI Online), where I'm an Elvaan Black Mage. I tried to think of an Elvish-sounding name, and that came out.


If anyone wants to be interviewed, leave a comment and I'll send you 5 questions.
 

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

Oh my word. I remember the blouse-vest-skirt combos! Gah. I cannot believe you still own one.

Per the bonus question... now I know why you wouldn't answer that at first. Final Fantasy? Elvaan Black Mage? Man, you are a nerd. ;-)

(I am just teasing, of course.)

May 02, 2007 9:30 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Heheheh, I'm a self-professed nerd, and proud of it! I even have a t-shirt that says " I <3 Nerds "....

May 02, 2007 1:13 PM  
Blogger Jarod said...

Nerd, eh? I'm going to the Dragon-con in Atlanta this year, Translation: Nerd!
(Still have all my D&D stuff)

May 02, 2007 1:27 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Dragon-con? Isn't that the biggest one of them? I've never been to a con, but it's on my life's to-do list. Time and money never coincide.

May 03, 2007 1:19 AM  
Blogger Jarod said...

It's one of the biggest. I've never been to one, so I thought it would be cool. I'm an ABS bladesmith, so at first I thought I would make a full suit of armor and sword special for the occasion, but now I think that might be too ordinary. I want to make something really ridiculous.

May 03, 2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

But how many people there could say they made the whole suit themselves? Ooh, here's an idea. You could make a whole "We are Borg" getup. That would be somewhere on the borderline of ridiculously cool and just ridiculous. Or a samurai suit of armor and a katana. Although, didn't the samurai wear leather armor. I'm hopeless with distinguishing who wore what when it comes to armor.

May 04, 2007 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home