My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

MUSIC: Bonobo - If You Stayed Over (lyrics)

I had never heard of Bonobo, until Corrie made me a disk with all kinds of yummy music. The pseudonym of British producer and songwriter Simon Green, Bonobo is signed up with the Ninja Tune label. This song, "If You Stayed Over" is hypnotic. I made Katja listen to it, and she said it sounds like "movie music — like it should be in a David Lynch film, or sung in a smoky club."  On the Bonobo MySpace page they list performance venues — on April 13, Bonobo will play the Funky Elephant Festival at Club Tavastia in Helsinki... Katja suggested we go. Maybe I should to go Helsinki for a bit, Pennsylvania is once again wearing on me.

Anyway, it's great when friends introduce you to music you may never have otherwise encountered. Katja always makes me CDs, to keep me from fossilizing. So folks, send your music selections, urls, YouTube clips, whatnot. I'm always intrigued. In the next few days I'll also post music Diak had me listen to on YouTube.

Underneath the Flash player, I'll transcribe the lyrics, which I so far have been unable to find on the web. They are incomplete, I know, but what're ya gonna do  (^.^)/





If You Stayed Over
by Bonobo
(Feat. Fink)

And if it's on,
It's on for good, yeah...
'Cause when it's gone,
It's gone for good...

Let me tell you...

And if you stayed over,
You know we would,
If we could
Put it back together,
We could be... fine...

If I breathe in the future,
Breathe out the past, yeah...
Savour this moment
As long as it lasts...

Let me tell you...
Put it back...

If you stayed over
I'd make it so sweet,
I'll make you remember, baby,
From your head to your feet...

And if you go now, then
You'll never know
How it could...
Make it good...
Make it good....
 

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

a David Lynch-kind of movie is a great shot at the type of this song...I liked it, thanks for sharing!
I usually don't dig this type of a male voice, but the song and the special instruments made it so enjoyable!!

March 08, 2007 6:02 AM  
Blogger KHAQQ said...

You really should hear the rest of Bonobo's albums. They're great, mostly intstrumental. The guy doing the singing on that track is not Bonobo, but "Fink", who also did work on Ninja Tunes...his album "Biscuits For Breakfast" is just as good as that track, and probably better..."Pills In My Pocket" and "Pretty Little Thing" are amazing.

March 08, 2007 10:17 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I have two of his albums now - and I did give credit to Fink (it says "Featuring Fink" under the title). There was a clip on YouTube with Bajka singing this song, but it was a live fan recording so the vocal quality wasn't great. I'm hoping to see Bonobo live... I bet it would be a fab time.

March 08, 2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Justin, sorry, I forgot to say "Hi" and nice to meet you :)

March 08, 2007 12:36 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

I added an ARCTIC MONKEY's video to my blog; I HAVE to buy this CD !!!

March 08, 2007 12:51 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Arctic Monkeys? I have to do a monkey post soon, because for some reason, everything in my life is pointing to monkeys.... EVERYTHING! It's like the universe is sending me signs, but I don't know what to do about it.

March 08, 2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger Sampayu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 02, 2007 2:02 PM  
Blogger Sampayu said...

I've posted the full lyrics for this song at this address:

http://letras.terra.com.br/bonobo/1111850/

Also posted lyrics for Bonobo's "Tell me how you feel" and "Walk in the sky". Just check it out at:

http://letras.terra.com.br/bonobo/

Bonobo, aka Simon Green, is ethereal, detached, mellow and somehow childish. I love it.

More from Bonobo can be found at these sites:

http://wm03.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wjfpxqlhldde

www.bonobomusic.com

C y'all.

November 02, 2007 2:08 PM  
Blogger Ctenuchid said...

Hi anniina,

I stumbled on this post of yours while I was trying to find the lyrics to "If you stayed over" - it's great to know I'm not the only one on this side of the pond who loves Bonobo. I second the recommendations of others here concerning Bonobo's albums - I especially like "Dial M for Monkey".

Anyway, I thought I'd direct you and your readers to a live recording of a performance by Bonobo in Budapest on May 5, 2007: http://tinyurl.com/3xws7l

It's an awesome performance, and the female vocalist really does an awesome job with "If You Stayed Over", especially at the end.

February 11, 2008 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home