My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Monty Python's SPAMALOT - Finland / Fish Schlapping Song


I first saw Spamalot on Broadway on my birthday in 2005, with David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria, and the incomparable Tim Curry. I had no idea that 3 pages of the program and the very first song would be dedicated to Finland. I laughed so hard I thought I'd die. When my mom and dad and sister came for Christmas, I saw it with them, and it was just as fabulous second time around.

Some lovely pirate has put on the whole opening of the musical on YouTube, including David Hyde Pierce and Hank Azaria discussing the migratory habits of African swallows! Watch it fast, before some Broadway Police will have it yanked off YouTube. And I keep telling people, if you have to beg, borrow, steal, or sell bodily fluids, get yourself to New York (and/or London) to see this — it will be worth every penny, and then some.

(The embedded version wasn't working right, so click here)

Ha! If that weren't rude enough, in the London West End version, they open the song with a FINLAND FILM!

http://www.montypythonsspamalot.com/media.php#
 

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I'd like to think that I was the inspiration for this post. I like to think that because I'm vain, and kinda needy, and more than a little shallow. And childish, let's not forget that. Definitely childish.

Haven't seen Spamalot, but I've heard good things. I'm a HUGE Python fan, so I'm sure I'd love it.

February 01, 2007 8:01 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

You need to go to New York. And yes, the post was inspired by you :)

February 01, 2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger onlyjokinglasse said...

Hay, once again, thank you Very much for taking us there! Arms for the poor!

February 02, 2007 3:49 AM  
Blogger onlyjokinglasse said...

With a film? What's that supposed to mean? Now I can not recommend the London version to anyone.

February 05, 2007 1:53 AM  
Blogger madelineanne said...

Hee!! That was hilarious! I'm watching more bits of the show and it's making me really want to see it!

February 05, 2007 2:28 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I've been telling you forEVER to go see it - it's totally your show Madeline. Plus, since you've like seen everything, I want to hear how it ranks in your opinion. It is the best thing I've ever seen (musical-wise) on Broadway or West End. Sadly, Curry, Hyde Pierce, and Azaria have moved on to London. Esther is supposed to come to Philadelphia with the touring production next month. I'd love to see her as the "watery tart"!!!

February 05, 2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger madelineanne said...

I will definitely try to come and see her if she gets some stage time in Philly!!

February 06, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger GeekGurl2000 said...

I saw Spamalot in Portland, Oregon last summer. I brought coconut shells with me. (i bought this coconut ice cream at Trader Joe's several years ago way before there was an idea of a broadway production...just to have shells)...my son likes Monty Python as well. I used them to applaud during the show, and I galloped through the lobby at intermission. I hung around outside the stage door and said "autograph my coconuts?"..so i have 15 cast signatures!! w00t!

April 15, 2008 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home