My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Best & Worst Countries in the World to be a Mom

Save the Children just released their annual "State of the World's Mother's Report" for 2006.  The results were as follows:

*Countries that are tied

Top 10 Countries
1. Sweden
2. Denmark/Finland*
4. Austria/Germany/Norway*

Bottom 10 Countries
125. Niger
124. Burkina Faso
123. Mali

Quoting Netscape:
"Did you know that a mother living in countries in sub-Saharan Africa compared to that of a mother living in a Scandinavian country is 28 times more likely to see her child die in the first year of life and over 750 times more likely to die herself in pregnancy or childbirth."

Find out why these countries ranked in the top and bottom 10. Read the State of the World's Mothers 2006 Report.

The .PDF File, 58 pages of the full report, is worth a browse, even if this isn't your usual cup of tea — the study draws fascinating conclusions between literacy, educational level, and use of contraceptives directly reducing infant mortality rates.  Also, it reveals startling things about maternal and infant mortality in the industrialized world, not just in the developing countries.  Did you know, for example, that the infant mortality rate in the United States "is still higher than most other industrialized nations — 2.5 times that of Finland, Iceland, and Norway" and maternal mortality rate in the US is higher than in "Canada, Australia, and all the Western and Northern European countries in the study"? (p43).

I'm troubled.

****

Gosh, it does seem like this blog is turning into a love song for Finland lately.  This recent bout of Finnish Nationalism that I am experiencing is probably aggravated by feeling very homesick at present.  I'm feeling lonely, tired of coming to an empty house, eating dinner by myself, sleeping alone, having nobody in this big house but myself and my little dogs.  I think I need to go to Finland this summer and spend time with my mom and dad and sister, and with my best friend in the whole wide world, Katja (the girl who went insane and bought a $500 pair of sunglasses).
 

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Katja said...

They are a regular pair of eyewear/spectacles/eyeglasses, NOT sunglasses :)

And I talked to my step-mom today and she spent twice as much on her new pair of glasses than what I did. Either wasting money runs in our family or the price level is SOOOOOOOOOOOO high here. In my opinion, it is the latter :)

And what do you mean "went insane" ? I've been like this for long, long time.

Ahhh, my master plan IS working !!! The purpose of talking about Finland so much was just make you feel so home-sick that you HAVE to come here. Sorry ! And the final word is SALMIAKKI.

May 13, 2006 11:47 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

But, what is the mortality rate for fathers in finland? Do wives kill their husbands often? ~.^ (sorry, that is pretty freaky isn't it, how badly the U.S. is doing in that category.)

May 13, 2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

I saw new ultrasound pics of my niece yesterday !!!! (I'm sure that it is a girl.) Can't wait untill October to finally see her !!! I want to go to Ross and buy her cute baby-clothes !!! Though my brother joked, that the baby is going to start wearing black from the day she is born :)

Hugs from super-auntie Katija

May 17, 2006 12:43 AM  
Blogger Bart Treuren said...

from experience, homesickness is dreadful and if you have the chance to go back, do it... you need to make choices in your life but you also need to reconnect at the right moments and in the right way, sometimes not of your own choosing... take care and keep well ;-)

May 20, 2006 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home