My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

News on Mark Rylance and Shakespeare's Globe

The Divine Mark Rylance won at the BAFTAs (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) on May 7th for his role in Channel4's "The Government Inspector" the equivalent of a British Emmy Award. Congratulations to Mark!


JustJosh on his blog reviews the Globe's production of Coriolanus, and it seems perhaps Shakespeare's Globe is not dead sans Rylance after all.  I'm planning a pilgrimage this summer, so you'll get my two cents on it later.

On the Globe's rivalry with the RSC, the Evening Standard has an article which to my eyes seems very RSC-friendly.  Whereas everything I've ever seen at the RSC pales in comparison to any given 5 minutes at the Globe.

I must admit, I am dying to see Patrick Stewart as Antony in Antony and Cleopatra and as Prospero in The Tempest, as well as Sir Ian McKellen as King Lear.  Must make plans.  And wait till you hear this, Madeline: they are doing "Merry Wives the Musical" with Dame Judi Dench as Mistress Quickly!  We have saying in Finland, "Live long enough, you'll see it all." (Oppia ikä kaiken)

For more, see previous post on Mark Rylance, the Globe and RSC.

 
Tags: Mark Rylance | Shakespeare | The Globe | RSC | Theatre

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger madelineanne said...

OMFG!!!
That is either hilarious and brilliant or completely scary!!
And I have to admit I really really want to see it!!!!

June 01, 2006 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home