My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Happy Odin's Day

Our English word for Wednesday comes from the Anglo-Saxon "Wodensdaeg", Woden's day, that being the Anglo-Saxon name for the Norse god Odin.

Odin is the All-Father in the Norse pantheon, "one god to rule them all" so to speak, or in more familiar terms, the Nordic equivalent to Zeus or Jupiter.  He was the one-eyed god of the sky and the god of wisdom, poetry and war.

For more on Odin (some wisdom for the day of the god of wisdom) see this Wikipedia article.

If you're wondering why I'm on this Norse mythology kick today, it's because of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" which I recently finished, and which has stayed with me.  In an earlier entry I cited it as one contender for the title "The Great American Novel" — worth a read, folks.

For some reason, while we're inundated with Greek and Roman mythology in school in Finland, we're taught next to nothing about the mythology of our Scandinavian neighbors — granted, we were never Norse, but wouldn't it be good to know our closest neighbors' ancient sacred texts?  So, I'm trying to educate myself on the basics.  If anyone has a good book suggestion on the subject of Norse Mythology, lemme know please. Thanks :)

Going to make din-din and play FFXI.

BTYL (Blog to you later, tee hee!)
~A


[Image credit: From the 18th century Icelandic manuscript SÁM 66 in the care of the Árni Magnússon Institute in Iceland. Courtesy of Wikipedia.]

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Mophia said...

Ermm... I really liked the Saga of Beowulf, but that's pretty common of a read. I have this cool illustrated version from the very early 1900s that just totally rocks.

May 10, 2006 11:27 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I meant a book on Norse Mythology, scholarly. Beowulf is Anglo-Saxon and comes along a bit later - it's a hero tale, an epic. What I'm looking for is something published in the last 25 yrs or so that would cover it all.

May 10, 2006 11:37 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

i know, but, i luvz teh beowulf, it rocks

May 10, 2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Okay, I'm gonna be flamed for this, but I hated Beowulf all the times I had to read it.

May 10, 2006 11:42 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

lolz, it's ok, we all have our different tastes (i for one have a deep dislike of shrimp)

May 11, 2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

But we have our own ancient gods:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_mythology

Funny thing is, that I put on yesterday one of my Norse rune-necklaces, Tyr, which means justice and truth. NIU: We are so bulimic !!! Here is more about Tyr:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyr

I want to go to Norway !!!!

Guess what, I bought yesterday new pair of Fendi glasses ! I really would've needed your opinion;it is so difficult to make up your mind, when you do not see properly. Do NOT ask me, how much they cost; I freak out every time I think about it...

I'll better stop rambling now and go to work. Njut av din torsdag ! (I just had to write something in Swedish) :)

May 11, 2006 1:14 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

OMG how much did you spend?

So, since you are the one for Justice (Tyr) maybe you should have the Aequitas tat, and I'll get the Veritas. Go Boondock Saints!

And go Zoolander, as far as movie references go (bulimic). What do you mean we're not gonna watch movies when I come? It's what we DO! (that, and buy sunglasses)

I miss you.

May 11, 2006 2:38 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

I have a pair of "Ray-ban" sunglasses, that I wear occasionally. Have to have prescription or I walk around blind :D

May 11, 2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

HANSEL: I hear a lot of words like "beauty" and "handsomeness" and "incredibly chiseled features." To me that's like a vanity, a self-absorbtion that I try to steer clear of. I dig the bungee. For me, it's just the way I live my life. I grip it and I rip it. I live it with a lot of flair. I live it on the edge, where I gotta be. I wasn't like every other kids you know who dreams about being and astronaut. I was always more interested in aaaaa � what bark was made out of on a tree. Richard Gere's a real hero of mine. Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music that he's created over the years - I don't really listen to it. But the fact that he's making it, I respect that. I care desperately about what I do. Do I know what product I'm selling? No. Do I know what I'm doing today? No. But I'm here and I'm gonna give it my best shot.

I told you that I'm not going to tell, how much I spent on those Fendi's... Let's just say, that I could've bought a flight ticket HEL-NYC-HEL (agent discount) with that money...

BTW we have Geisha ice-cream !!!! It is soooooooooooooo yummy !!!

May 12, 2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

OMG YOU SPENT OVER $200 on SUNGLASSES!!!??? Okay, my best friend has LOST IT! I have to fly to Finland and slap you around a little bit to bring you back to your sense!!! OMG! Makes me ill to think about it!

"That Hansel is so hot right now."

May 12, 2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

No, not on sunglasses. Just "regular" glasses. And it was much more than $200 .... *grin*
BUT I have reasoned it to myself now = I have to wear them almost every day, so I rather bought the ones that I REALLY liked in stead of the cheaper ones, that I did not like that much. Plus you know that I belong to the bimbo-team in our family according to my brother *another grin*

"There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. And I plan on finding out what that is."

May 12, 2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

More than $300? Insane girl!

"Bet you didn't think I knew what a Eu-googly was!"

May 13, 2006 12:49 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

Okay, let's stop this bidding. I confess: I paid 461 € for those glasses.

May 13, 2006 3:24 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

"Orange Mocha Frappucino!"
"My Son is a Mermaid"
"Listen to your friend Billy Zane here!"

May 13, 2006 4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home