My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Curry Recipes for Cold Nights

My dad pointed out the surprising fact that I've never posted a single recipe. Considering how much I love food, I too thought it something that had to be remedied.

Mango Curry Chicken
Chicken (cut into strips)
Patak's Mild Curry Paste
Sweet Mango chutney
Heavy cream
Butter

You can get the chutney and curry paste at a local indian store, or at some of the better grocery stores (even Giant here carries them) at the "ethnic foods" isle. I put links there so you can order them online, and surprisingly cheaply, too. I think my grocery store charges more!

This is for a 2-person amount; make double or triple for more ppl.

First, brown your chicken in butter. Set in an oven-safe dish (or if you cook the strips through, you can set aside for serving). Put more butter in the pan (or in a sauce pan) and wait till it gets brown and hot (don't let it burn, though). Drop in 2 table-spoon dollops of curry paste and stir around for a bit (flame still on the hotter side). Next, spoon in 4 tbsp mango chutney, mix. Take the pot off the burner, and pour in about 1 cup (2+ dl) of cream and mix into sauce. Sauce should be hot enough, that it'll bubble a little. At this point, take a tea spoon and taste: if you'd like it spicier, add a bit of curry paste, if sweeter, a bit of chutney. After mixing thoroughly, pour over chicken and put in oven (~400°F ~175°C) for abt 10 mins, while you boil rice. Serve.

It's a very forgiving recipe — pretty much any way you make it, it's good. I made it last week with a substitution, since my chutney had spoiled; I used orange marmalade. It was not quite as good, but it still made a heck of a meal. A few nights ago I did another variation — a raspberry curry on pork chops! I substituted raspberry jam for the mango, and I used more curry and less cream, to get a thicker "sauce". I also let it stay on the stove for a while longer. Add a twist of lemon, and you've got DIVINITY. I almost swallowed my tongue it was so good. This is a great recipe to play around with. If you do, and discover some other variation, let me know, I'd love to try it.

Note of warning: unless your dogs are regular curry eaters, don't give them any. Smelly badness happens.
 

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Why would anyone give any of this nice food to a dog? Unless it has gotten wrong? When? It's going to the waste (compost heap) anyway?

And recipes?
Yes. Do.

I'd prefer having more basic recipes - you know I have no chance to get into some fancy AND highly expensive shop in Budapest to get those ingredients such as a pre-made chutney. They are available at horrible prices. I trust I can substitue them by something home-made, can't I?

February 09, 2007 5:03 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Hey sorry about that - I didn't realize it would be hard to get curry paste outside of Budapest. I'm sorry, I don't know how to create the equivalent from scratch. I'll try to make sure the next few recipes have less exotic requirements :)

February 11, 2007 11:51 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Don't get me wrong please - I love reading exotic recipes, although I admit the sorrow I feel knowing that I would be unable to make them. But I like them nevertheless. Post any recipe you like.
But if you post something even I can make, I'd be delighted :)

February 12, 2007 2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home