My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Happy Groundhog Day!

Clip nicked from HyperLiterature, text inspired by OnlyJokingLasse

Groundhog Day in 60 seconds


Ahh, the strange and wonderful customs we have here in Pennsylvania. Only in America! Every February 2, people gather from far and wide to see if a furry creature of little intelligence (no, not George Bush, though that was a good guess) will hide from his own shadow.

This creature is a groundhog named Punxsutawney Phil, and he lives (or is imprisoned, IMHO) in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania (about an hour's drive from me, but I've never gone. Note to self. Next year must go see Phil). The belief is, that if Phil comes out of his burrow on this day, spring is forthcoming—if not, 6 more weeks of winter.

Today, Phil thinks we're getting an early spring.

For more on the jolly creature and the tradition, visit Wikipedia.
 

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bart Treuren said...

hehehe... happy groundhog day to you too ;-)

here's to me and us all, running around and exercising in circles ;-)

keep well...

February 02, 2007 5:24 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Heheheh, thanks Bart!

February 02, 2007 7:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Happy Groundhog Day everybody!

Here's a shameless link to my new Groundhog Day article (Anniina, if you don't want these kinds of posts on your blog, tell me and I'll get rid of it immediately).

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there today. It's cold out there every day; what is this, Miami Beach? Not hardly! And you know you can expect hazardous travel later today with that, you know, that, uh, that blizzard thing. The National Weather Service is calling for a "big blizzard thing!" Yes, they are. But you know, there's another reason why today is especially exciting. The big question on everybody's lips, their chapped lips: do ya think Phil is gonna come out and see his shadow? Punxsutawney Phil! That's right, woodchuck chuckers, it's Groundhog Day! And to celebrate Groundhog Day in the best way we possibly can, The Sci-Fi Guys give to you our SALUTE TO TIME LOOPS!

February 02, 2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

That's fine, Chris, I don't mind :) But I'm gonna limit shameless self-promotion to 30 wds or less from now on. After that, I need gifts in the form of books from Amazon, heheh.

February 02, 2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

We also have this custom in Hungary, but here we check the bear instead. Even the national tv goes out into the zoo to check if the bear would turn back into his/her cave or not.
I loved that film - I like when it's time travel or time trouble included in a film.
Have you seen the 50 first dates for example? What's your opinion 'bout it?
D'you mean Americans do not watch groundhog, only in PA?

Sorry for the sackful of Qs!

February 03, 2007 7:01 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Groundhog day is celebrated in the US and Canada, I'm sorry I made it sound like Pennsylvania has monopoly on it :P There are several groundhogs around the US and Canada, though Phil is perhaps the most famous because of the movie.

Fascinating! I never knew about the bear custom before. What is it called in hungarian?

I like time travel movies too. 50 First Dates I enjoyed, because I like both Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler, but I think the ending of the film could have maybe been stronger somehow.

I think this calls for a whole blog entry - time travel movies and why we love them :)

February 03, 2007 10:27 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Re: the last paragraph.
sure it does, can't wait to see it!
Re: bear-watching: It has no special name. We just watch the bear :)

February 03, 2007 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home