My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

French Photographs by Robert Doisneau

As you know, I love photography. The first time I ran across French photographer Robert Doisneau was when I was 16 — Katja had a notebook in French class with Kiss at the Hôtel de Ville, 1950 on the cover. Love at first sight.

Robert Doisneau (1912-1994) was born in Gentilly, France. He studied to be an engraver, but fell in love with photography. He became a freelance photographer in 1939, when he was drafted. During World War II he was part of the Resistance, using his engraving skills to forge identification papers. He also took photographs of both the occupation and the liberation of Paris.

After the war, he returned to freelance photography, and won the Prix Kodak in 1947. From 1948-1951 he also worked for Vogue. A famed portrait photographer, his subjects included, among others, Pablo Picasso.

I made a short slideshow of Doisneau's photographs. Music from Corr.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

What a great choice of *music" to these goor photos! I like b/w portrays and town photos!

February 09, 2007 5:00 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Whoo-hooo!
I have received the book!
Many thank yous to you, Anniina!
I usually read more than one book at a time so I'll add it up to my list soon.
But I will make sure so as not to interfere with my job.
Thanks again!

February 09, 2007 5:27 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Oh great, glad that it arrived! I usually read several books at a time, too. Let me know when you begin it, and then I'll reread it at the same time, so when you say "you know when the man says xyz, and..", I won't be like "what man, where?" :P
Maybe if other folks feel like reading it (Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale") too, we can have a regular old book club!

February 09, 2007 2:07 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Oh, and for Doisneau, I love photographs that have that kind of nostalgic quality to them. The music came from my friend Corr - it's so haunting, I can't stop thinking about it.

February 09, 2007 2:09 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Oh, somehow I thought it was The Corrs, but now I see its something else. Sometimes I am that dumb...
Re: book club, yes!
I'm into it.

February 09, 2007 3:02 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

yeah, i don't write haunting piano music. sorry. great stuff corranis. gj on the slideshow Anniina :)

February 09, 2007 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home