My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sonnetsday 11

Sonnet from Urania
by Lady Mary Wroth

Here all alone in silence might I mourne:
But how can silence be where sorrowes flow?
Sighs with complaints have poorer paines out-worne;
But broken hearts can only true griefe show.
Drops of my dearest bloud shall let Love know
Such teares for her I shed, yet still do burne,
As no spring can quench least part of my woe,
Till this live earth, againe to earth doe turne.
Hatefull all thought of comfort is to me,
Despised day, let me still night possesse;
Let me all torments feele in their excesse,
And but this light allow my state to see.
      Which still doth wast, and wasting as this light,
      Are my sad dayes unto eternall night.


Lady Mary Wroth (1587?-1651?) was the daughter of Sir Philip Sidney's brother, Robert.  Recognized now as one of the major 17th-century poets, her life was tumultuous to say the least, and her powerful, emotionally evocative poetry bears tangible witness to it.
 

Tags: Sonnets

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mophia said...

that is one of the best ones that i've seen you post ^^

/console (i better not /comfort!)

April 24, 2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Lol, I'm not in the least bit sad - just Lady M Wroth didn't write any happy ones, heheh

April 24, 2006 11:36 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

lol, she didn't write any happy ones cuz she wouldn't let anyone comfort her ^.^

April 25, 2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

The man she loved, for whom she also bore children, was a total prick... read the bio on that link - it's just sickening.

April 25, 2006 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home